Recreation, Culture + Education Accomplishments
Parks and Open Space
- Completed major renovations at eleven Neighborhood Parks, with five additional parks under construction, and four parks beginning construction within the next six months.
- Completed construction of a new park at Guy Place Mini Park. Acquired sites for Francisco Reservoir and Shoreview Park which are under construction. Phase I of 900 Innes park, acquired in 2014, will begin construction within the next six months.
- Completed Phase I of the Geneva Car Barn and Powerhouse project, renovating the Powerhouse up to LEED-Gold standards.
- Completed renovations at seven playgrounds as part of the Let’sPlaySF! initiative: Washington Square Playground, Panhandle Playground, West Portal Playground, Sgt. John Macaulay Playground, Alice Chalmers Playground, Redwood Grove in McLaren Park and Merced Heights Playground. In addition, Juri Commons is under construction, and Golden Gate Heights Park will start construction shortly.
- Completed ten improvement projects at our Citywide Parks, including a new bike park and a new community garden at McLaren Park, and the new Golden Gate Park Oak Woodlands trail. Two additional projects are under construction and eight other projects will begin construction within the next six months.
- Completed 17 partial renovations and capital improvements at neighborhood parks, including playfields renewals, trails, water conservation, lighting improvements and more. Five additional projects are under construction and four projects will begin construction within the next six months.
- Completed many renewals, including resurfacing and repainting over 51 courts and five playgrounds; fencing children’s play areas, ball fields, courts Stern Grove and throughout Golden Gate Park; field rehabilitation at nine parks; major irrigation improvements at four parks and throughout Golden Gate Park; refinishing floors at eleven gyms; and security and lighting improvements at six facilities.
Arts and Cultural Departments
- Advanced capital improvements across the Cultural Centers, including HVAC and fire safety system renewals, ADA barrier removal and gutter repairs at SOMArts, and elevator repairs at Mission Cultural Center for Latino Arts.
- Construction documents for HVAC replacement at the Mission Cultural Center for Latino Arts are 90% complete.
- Completed facility condition assessments of SOMArts, Bayview Opera House, Mission Cultural Center for Latino Arts, African American Art, and Culture Complex.
- Completed multiple conservation projects on artworks located in Golden Gate Park as prescribed by the condition survey conducted in 2018.
- Contract awarded and work started for major overhaul and renewal of all public and staff elevators at the Main Library.
- Completed a new facility at the Main Library lower level for the Library’s Delivery Services unit, including a state-of-the-art library materials sorting machine, and related new offices and workspaces.
- Design for the Mission Branch Library renovation is almost complete. The project is fully funded and expected to go out to bid in the Spring of 2021, with construction beginning later in the year.
- The Library completed renovations for the SF History unit at its leased archival storage facility located at 750 Brannan Street. Forthcoming installation of additional shelving will allow the Library to fully vacate the Brooks Hall space it currently uses to store collections and archival materials.
- Major renewal work has begun at the Library’s Support Services Building. Improvements include window and HVAC replacements, solar electrical upgrades, and a new roof.
- Using funds from Proposition A, City College of San Francisco will proceed to fix or repair City College facilities, make necessary seismic retrofit and earthquake safety improvements, repair buildings to be more energy-efficient and upgrade facilities to better serve students.